Welcome to My Book Bag!

I'm Susan Aikens. Welcome to my blog about kids' books, My Book Bag. I'm one of those people who is always "selling" books to friends, relatives, and even to strangers in bookstores who mistake me for an employee. This blog is an extension of that. Here you'll find impartial reviews of new and time-tested fiction and non-fiction books for kids, ages 6 through teen. I'll also let you know about promising new authors and emerging trends in children's literature. Hopefully, you'll find these reviews helpful as you select titles for your child, your classroom, or yourself.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick

Brian Selznick created a new art form with his illustrated novel, "The Invention of Hugo Cabret". Now, he's followed up with his 2nd novel, "Wonderstruck".  Perhaps the title hints at the reaction that readers will have to the many intricately rendered pencil drawings.  "Wonderstruck" is actually 2 intertwined stories set many years apart.  Selznick uses his hundreds of drawings to tell the story of Rose, a deaf girl living in 1920's New York.  The text tells the story of Ben, a boy living in Minnesota in 1977.   "Wonderstruck" is as thick as a brick,  but don't let the size deter you from experiencing this marvelous read. This is a perfect book to share with reluctant readers or for parents to read at bedtime. 

I've been a Brian Selznick fan for years, ever since I saw him "put on a show" to promote his picture book, "The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins". He's talented, personable, & a born promoter.   "Hugo Cabret", which won a Caldecott Award, is one of my favorite books of all time.  I hope the movie by Martin Scorcese due at Christmas does it justice.

1 comment:

  1. Loved it, and actually preferred it to Hugo Cabret.

    ReplyDelete