Welcome to My Book Bag!

I'm Susan Aikens. Welcome to my blog about kids' books, My Book Bag. I'm one of those people who is always "selling" books to friends, relatives, and even to strangers in bookstores who mistake me for an employee. This blog is an extension of that. Here you'll find impartial reviews of new and time-tested fiction and non-fiction books for kids, ages 6 through teen. I'll also let you know about promising new authors and emerging trends in children's literature. Hopefully, you'll find these reviews helpful as you select titles for your child, your classroom, or yourself.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Shine by Lauren Myracle


Just bought the e-book of Shine by Lauren Myracle after reading about the National Book Award hubbub.  When the selection committee announced the 5 nominees, someone mixed up the names of 2 books, Chime & Shine, so there were 6 books on the publicized list.  Initially, the committee was going to keep both titles as nominees, but then decided to ask Ms. Myracle to withdraw her title from consideration.  Lauren Myracle has now withdrawn Shine due to pressure from the NBA committee.  I bought a copy in support of this wonderful author.  I'll have a review of Shine next week.

2 comments:

  1. Very well done! I wonder if there is a book about a kentucky climbing boy? wonder who that would be????

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an amazing book, but I suspect a bit too gritty for the NBA committee.

    ReplyDelete