Welcome to My Book Bag!

I'm Susan Aikens. Welcome to my blog about kids' books, My Book Bag. I'm one of those people who is always "selling" books to friends, relatives, and even to strangers in bookstores who mistake me for an employee. This blog is an extension of that. Here you'll find impartial reviews of new and time-tested fiction and non-fiction books for kids, ages 6 through teen. I'll also let you know about promising new authors and emerging trends in children's literature. Hopefully, you'll find these reviews helpful as you select titles for your child, your classroom, or yourself.

Monday, October 17, 2011

My first post!

I've always thought that there was something inherently noble about selling books, especially kids books.   I was Borders Senior Buyer for Children's books.  I bought thousands of new titles for all the Borders & Waldenbooks stores.  I can honestly say that I learned something new every day & that I had the best job in the world.  Borders ceased to exist in September 2011 & with it went my job. 

After 6 weeks of unemployment, I'm going through withdrawal. Admittedly, I'm enjoying  reading whatever I want, but  I so miss the excitement & sense of community prevalent in the world of kids publishing.  I still remember the on-sale dates for the big books I'd hoped to market & sell this fall.  I wonder how many copies of the new Rick Riordan book we'd have sold on day one. I wonder if Wimpy Kid 6 will set a new sales record. I gnash my teeth over the lost opportunity to introduce new readers to Hunger Games & Hugo Cabret because of the upcoming movies. 

Now, I want to use my knowledge to help parents, teachers & kids book lovers find the best reads.  I hope to use this blog to bring talented new authors to the fore & contribute in some small way to promoting literacy.   I will regularly post impartial reviews & comments about kids books, movies, & other happenings. 

I hope you find this blog useful & enjoyable.

Susan

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad to see you recommending books again. I've already reserved the first three titles at the library. Now to decide who gets to read them first, me or my son! - Andrea S-R

    ReplyDelete